Raymond Sol
Tai Chi Instructor

Ride For Your Lives


It was dark and it was stormy, but the men rode steadily on . . .

 

They had to reach the river crossing before the water ran too high, barring their escape.  Ray, their leader, was known for being a hard driver, but also a person concerned with the safety of his men.

 

Checking their back trail revealed the warriors were still pursuing them.  At their current pace, the race to freedom would be tight.

 

Why had all his efforts ended this way?  Everything had started out right, and now they were riding for their lives.

 

The Tribe had welcomed them into their camp.  They shared food together.  Of the two nights and three days in camp, everything had gone well.

 

Then Chief High Cloud accused them of stealing sacred articles.

 

Everyone, Ted, Pat, Jim, and Lou denied taking anything.  At first, Ray did not have any problems with the warriors wanting to search their equipment.  Then a fight broke out with several warriors.

 

When Pat punched one warrior, all hell broke lose.

 

Their horses had already been saddled, because they were about to go on a hunting trip with High Cloud and several warriors.  Everyone ran for their horses, but it was Lou who stampeded the Tribe's horses.  His quick thinking gave them the edge they now enjoyed over the pursuing warriors.

 

Now the rain was coming down harder, and the darkness made the trail hard to see.  Who knows what effect it would have on the big river they had to cross.  They were moving at a slow and steady gait, saving their horses as much as possible.  Up ahead they could see the dark outline of the big trees that lined the Canadian river.

 

Ted looked back and shouted, "Here they come!"

 

Apparently, Chief High Cloud knew they were trying to cross the river, and was now racing to capture them before they did.  Quickly the men kicked their horses into a full gallop.  As they approached the river, the sound of rushing water met them.

 

"It's too dangerous, we'll never make it!" shouted Pat.